"And I have found both freedom and safety in my madness, the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us. But let me not be too proud of my safety. Even a Thief in a jail is safe from another thief. "

Khalil Gibran (How I Became a Madman)

Lübnan Marunîleri / Yasin Atlıoğlu

NEWS AND ARTICLES / HABERLER VE MAKALELER

Friday, December 15, 2006

Pope asks Syria to help secure peace

SOURCE: Gulf News

Pope Benedict XVI yesterday encouraged Syria to use its influence to help resolve Middle East conflicts and counter terrorism.

Greeting Syria's new ambassador to the Holy See, the pontiff noted repeated papal appeals for cessation of violence in Lebanon, Palestine and in Iraq.

"With a heavy heart, I note that a wide range of disputes have led to armed conflicts that threaten the peace of the entire Middle East," the Pope said.

He told Syria's ambassador that he was heartened by the diplomat's assurances that Damascus is committed to "counter this growing threat to peace."